For many people, Memorial Day marks the traditional start of summer. In Louisville, not only are there events throughout the weekend to celebrate the changing of seasons, but there will also be many events in remembrance for military service members who have died in the line of duty.
Here are a couple of the best events going on around our Elite Built Homes communities in Louisville during Memorial Day Weekend (May 27-29):
- Flags4Vets 2017 Memorial Day Vigil will take place May 27-29, on North Great Lawn. Volunteers will form the letters “USA” using 25,000 flags from veterans’ graves.
- Enjoy the music of the Beatles at Abbey Road on the River, May 25-29, at the Big Four Station Park in Jeffersonville, IN — just across the river from Louisville, KY.
- A Day at the Races. Those with an active duty or retired military ID will be granted free admission to Churchill Downs on Memorial Day. The Downs’ gates will open at 11:30am with a military salute being held before the first race at 12:45pm.
- The Subway Fresh Fit Hike, Bike & Paddle is the perfect way to spend a day outdoors with the family! It will take place on the Great Lawn at Waterfront Park on Memorial Day. There will be fitness demonstrations including yoga, tai chi, pickleball, and much more! Then choose from a 5k hike, 9.5-mile bike ride or a paddle on the Ohio River.
- Kick off the summer with the Kentucky Reggae Festival, May 26-28, at the Louisville Water Tower. There will be an incredible lineup of reggae acts and a Caribbean vendor market full of delicious international cuisine.